My Dad sends me stuff all the time for “my food blog”. It is cute. Sometimes I just archive the email, glancing over the content and storing it away. But today, since I would like to post today (remember NABLOPOMO), I thought I would publish the latest email from my Dad.
And thus I present 25 uses for coffee filters (besides brewing coffee, of course). This has made its way around the internet, so I am not sure who deserves credit for the original list.
1. Cover bowls or dishes when cooking in the microwave. Coffee filters make excellent covers.
2. Clean windows, mirrors, and chrome. Coffee filters are lint-free so they’ll leave windows sparkling.
3. Protect delicate china dishes by separating your good dishes with a coffee filter between each dish.
4. Filter broken cork from wine. If you break the cork when opening a wine bottle, filter the wine through a coffee filter. Can also be used to remove sediment from the last glass of wine in a bottle.
5. Protect a cast-iron skillet. Place a coffee filter in the skillet to absorb moisture and prevent rust.
6. Apply shoe polish. Ball up a lint-free coffee filter to apply polish.
7. Recycle frying oil. After frying, strain oil through a sieve lined with a coffee filter.
8. Weigh chopped foods. Place chopped ingredients in a coffee filter on a kitchen scale. Great for creating your own mise en place.
9. Hold tacos. Coffee filters make convenient wrappers for messy foods.
10. Stop the soil from leaking out of a plant pot. Line a plant pot with a coffee filter to prevent the soil from going through the drainage holes.
11. Prevent a Popsicle from dripping. Poke one or two holes as needed in a coffee filter.
12. Do you think we used expensive strips to wax eyebrows? Use strips of coffee filters.
13. Put a few in a plate and put your fried bacon, French fries, chicken fingers, to soak up extra grease.
14. Keep in the bathroom. They make great “razor nick fixers.”
15. Use a filter as an easy-to-tear backing for embroidering or appliquéing soft fabrics.
16. Put baking soda into a coffee filter and insert into shoes or a closet to absorb or prevent odors.
17. Use them to strain soup stock and to tie fresh herbs in to put in soups and stews.
18. Use a coffee filter to prevent spilling when you add fluids to your car.
19. Use them as a spoon rest while cooking and clean up small counter spills.
20. Can use to hold dry ingredients when baking or when cutting a piece of fruit or veggies. Saves on having extra bowls to wash.
21. Use to wrap delicate Christmas ornaments for off-season storage.
22. Use to remove fingernail polish when out of cotton balls.
23. Use to sprout seeds. Dampen the coffee filter, place seeds inside, fold it and place in a plastic baggie until they sprout.
24. Use coffee filters as blotting paper for pressed flowers. Place the flowers between two coffee filters and put the coffee filters in phone book.
25. Use as a disposable “snack bowl” for popcorn, chips, goldfish crackers, or any other snack item that your kids need after school.
What is your favorite use for coffee filters?
Photo © 2010 J. Ronald Lee